Endling: The Last - book review

 OMIGOSHOMIGOSHOMIGOSH a new fantasy series to LOVE YAY! I've actually had this book for a few months (the signed first edition) and have loved it. I got the second one on Audible, and the third...well, it's coming out in March, which is so far away *sobs*. Buuuuut I have to review this one because I can't wait to go crazy over it.





I had already heard of Katherine Applegate's The One and Only Ivan, so I decided to give this book a chance (anyway, who can pass up a signed first edition? Have I already mentioned this?) and I was not disappointed.

The Last, despite being a first book in a series, is brilliant. The worldbuilding is just *dramatic flourish* and so are the characters. Byx was a very interesting perspective, as I had expected a human's. It was enlightening to see the world from someone whose species is endangered, possibly extinct.

The fact that the book opens with a quote from Silent Spring pretty much conveys the message it is trying to give - what are we doing to this planet and the animals that live here? These words are repeated in variations throughout the book. Truth is also another large theme, as Byx's species, the dairnes, can tell when someone is lying. 

The three humans who help Byx - *zips mouth shut because of spoiler* - Luca, Khara, and Renzo are all intriguing. Personally I like Khara the most, because she is kind of like a Strong Warrior Princess TM, but Renzo was also one of my personal favorites (along with the rest of our band). Luca...I don't know. I can't say because spoilers, but he was a bit detached.

DID I MENTION HOW ADORABLE TOBBLE IS?

On a side note, every single sentence that Gambler speaks is quotable. Also for some reason I still imagine him being bright purple and looking like the Cheshire Cat, even though the book clearly says he has black fur.

Okay, am I done rambling here? WHY IS MARCH SO FAR AWAY?

Comments

  1. Excellent Work simply how do i put this........OUTSTANDING the book and your creative writing skills keep up the good work -toodles

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

if you're going to comment, do! I love comments! make sure it isn't anything rude please <3

Popular posts from this blog

Ember Falls - book review

Frozen 2 - movie review

Serafina and the Twisted Staff - book review