Endling: The Only - book review

 I promised myself I'd return to this blog when I had this book in my posession, and here I am in 2021, five months later :') I think my pillow's been my best friend during this book. It tolerated me screaming into it, me reprimanding our main characters, me rolling around on the bed in agony, me sobbing into it. The last sentence may or may not have been a hyperbole.



I have come to the conclusion that authors are evil. Wait, I'm an author too-

Anyways, this book was brilliant. Katherine Applegate never disappoints. A few of my theories were proved in this book, and yet a zillion others were disproved. This book was shorter than the others, so tbh I'd have liked a little more time with our beloved five-person-band before it ended, and I do feel that some characters were conveniently done away with (I will elaborate more on this in the spoilery rant below).

We finally get Gambler's backstory. I might have been laughing that entire chapter, even through the serious bits - I think that it was just a huge breather episode, and so I was kind of happy to be away from all the action. Tobble was adorable as always. Khara was kind of acting too old for her age though? Or maybe age works differently in this world. I kept forgetting she was fourteen. Renzo actually got some screentime, as I'd been afraid going into this book that he'd be forgotten about. I mean, I'd still like some character development from him, but we get what we get.

Byx has grown SO MUCH over the past books ;-; I basically forgot who she was in the original. I love her reflections on all the little things in the world. Also, I want a wraggler as a pet.

SPOILERY RANT COMMENCING, IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS THEN SCROLL RIGHT PAST THIS TO THE COMMENTS.

Okay, where do I even begin? The book didn't start exactly where I thought it would, but that was the thing about it - it kept me on my toes, not able to expect anything. The pacing was VERY fast, and all the numerous action sequences left me wanting a break. We did get those, though, what with the female felivet's arrival and whenever Byx was leaving for her missions.

I remember being so indignant when Khara took Byx and and Tobble towards the colliding armies >.< On the one hand I was shouting "LISTEN TO RENZO I MEAN ONLY THIS ONE TIME" but because authors are cruel and this fits in with Khara's character, I gave up and resigned to the fact that she would die.

The ending was everything ;-; book you don't get to hurt me in this way. Byx returning to the mirabear hive, and Khara's absolute awesomeness made it better in every way. That girl is made of steel.

I don't know why I was expecting the Light of Nedarra to break. It would have been poetic I guess? Or maybe my dramatic soul just wanted it for...drama.

THE EVENT ASDFGHJKL BYX GOING "I think I know what the event is" I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO SPEAK OF THE ACTUAL TERM. NO. IT'S THE EVENT NOW.

Tobble going all "what is the event?" was hilarious. And the fact that he figured it out by the time he and Byx were returning...I'M DEAD XD

What happened to Khara's mother though? I think the author basically forgot about her...and Maxyn didn't really get a mention in the epilogue.

The epilogue though...everything I ever wanted. Perfection. Tobble being grumpy and sleepy is something I didn't know I needed. Byx being the scholar for the dairnes! And the twins arguing over cake! And Khara's portrait? "Do I look grumpy?" Them all being happy? Tbh I wanted Gambler in the epilogue but at least he's alive and doing well, according to Byx. I want cake now even though I had it yesterday.

I will never be the same again goodbye

Comments

  1. Is it comedy? Or which genre is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god finally i have been waiting for the second book...i love the way you wrote everything with such powerful and visual words it like we are in the book itself...idk about you guys but i feel like lemony snicket in the series of unfortunate events....i just cant find the right words (in google dictionary) to describe this keep up the awesome! work
    your fan
    - you know who
    R

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

if you're going to comment, do! I love comments! make sure it isn't anything rude please <3

Popular posts from this blog

Ember Falls - book review

Frozen 2 - movie review

Serafina and the Twisted Staff - book review